Regan's Blueberry Kuchen
1 and ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
¾ cup (1 and ½ sticks) butter, slightly softened and cut into small pieces
1 and ½ tablespoons white vinegar (I use white peach vinegar)
5-6 cups fresh blueberries
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) In medium bowl, mix 1 and ½ cup flour, salt and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with vinegar and shape into dough. [At this point, I recommend chilling the dough for a half hour as it’s very sticky otherwise, but you can skip this.]
3) With lightly floured fingers, press dough into pan (I use a larger pan but you can use a 9-inch spring form pan in which case you’ll use less of the dough and only 5 cups blueberries). Spread the dough about 1/4 inch thickness on bottom, less thick and 1 inch high around sides (if you use a spring form pan).
4) Mix 3 cups of the blueberries with remaining 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2-cup sugar and cinnamon. Add the mixture on top of the dough.
5) Bake on the middle rack for 40 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
6) Sprinkle with remaining 2-3 cups raw blueberries.
Cool for at least 30 minutes. Run a pairing knife around the crust edge to separate from the pan before opening spring form.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Makes 8 servings