In Wind Raven, when Nick and Tara dined in Bermuda in the home of the Albouys in the summer of 1817, they were served a special syllabub for dessert.
As Mrs. Albouy tells Tara, "The syllabub you will have for dessert, in addition to the traditional cream and sugar, contains mango jam and rum instead of brandy and white wine. It is different than the syllabub they serve in London, and we quite like the change.”
Now you can make the dessert they ate in Wind Raven for yourself...here's the recipe!
• 1/4 cup mango jam (can also use mango puree from fresh mangoes)
• 1/4 cup white rum
• 1 and 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 6 Tbsp. powdered sugar
• Fresh grated nutmeg
1. Mix the mango jam and rum together until smooth.
2. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then add the sugar and whip again.
3. Fold the mango and rum mixture gently into the whipped cream.
4. Fill wine glasses.
5. Chill until ready. Garnish with whipped cream, chopped fresh mango and grated nutmeg. Serves six.